My latest picture book, She Leads: The Elephant Matriarch, is now available for sale!
She is the Queen. The matriarch.
She leads her daughters and their daughters.
Inspiring text and striking illustrations follow the empowering journey of an elephant matriarch as she leads her family through the wilds of Africa. With facts about African elephants on every spread and a message that will encourage young girls to be the trailblazers of their generation, She Leads offers an incredible story and an unforgettable tribute to the strength of a true leader.
Open your eyes, princess. One day you will lead.
So why should you buy this book?
- A short, lyrical story carries the reader forward, and can be read alone for a swift bedtime read.
- Nonfiction sidebars on each spread let you explore the complex world of the African Elephants.
- Amazing artwork!!
- Strong females make great role models.
- Makes a great gift for the young animal lover in your life.
Where can you find it?
"This beautifully illustrated book has my two favorite things: nature and girl power. Its tender family story is paired, on each page, with facts about the matriarchal society of elephants, which means kids who love strict nonfiction and those who prefer a story line will both be satisfied. A must-have in every child's library."
- Heidi E. Y. Stemple, poet and author of Counting Birds: The Idea that Helped Save Our Feathered Friends
"A quietly powerful book about real girl power in the animal kindom. She Leads manages tobe both straightforward and moving, fact-filled and lyrical, and always firmly grounded in the power, nurturing strength, and beauty of the elephant matriarch and her legacy to those who will follow. Yumi Shimokawara's naturalistic illustrations bring the queen and her society to life, while June Small's main text offers the elegance of poetry, filled out by more information in the sidebars on each page. Ideal for story time, the classroom, or bedtime reading."
- Kathy MacMillan, librarian and coauthor of She Spoke: 14 Women Who Raised Their Voices and Changed the World
"With simple, yet lyrical text and stunning illustrations, She Leads: The Elephant Matriarch beautifully demonstrates the elegant grace and proud nature of these extraordinary animals for young readers."
- Lindsay Ward, author and illustrator of Don't Forget Dexter
"I am very impressed with the text, the illustrations, and the tone of the book on many levels. The illustrations are rich, the text is well-researched, and the story is one that many people will connect with easily. I am heartened and excited by the messages and information presented in regards to the wonderful social structure and the amazing behavior of these incredible creatures. Elephants have been role models for me in life for over twenty years, and I am in awe of them with every new fact that I learn and with every new insight into how they see the world and one another. She Leads captures that awe on many levels and sends strong and meaningful messages about the importance of family, leadership, and compassion."
- Mike McClure, Maryland Zoo general curator and elephant collection manager