Friday, October 1, 2021

#FallWritingFrenzy 2021

 This year's Fall Writing Frenzy, a writing challenge/competition based on photo prompts, inspired something that is different than my usual work. The challenge is to come in at 200 words or less inspired by one of the photos provided at Lydia Lukidis's site HERE


I was inspired by the 13th photo. Seems appropriate for a Halloween theme, right? Just imagine walking those halls. It would be easy to get lost. Imagine being a teen, full of anxiety, afraid of this new place or embarrassment, or a million other hard knocks from life, but desperate to join in the carefree Halloween celebrations. 


Without further ado:



The Ghost

 

Everyone says the house is haunted.

Old, eerie, dark, and complex.

But the only ghost here is me.

Drifting from room to room.

Hiding from my old life.

The fears, the demons.

Not dead, but not living.

Afraid to live.

Until tonight.

Tonight will be the night I breakthrough.

Join the living dressed as the dead.

Costumes and paint can hide what is truly scary.

Can hide me from the prying eyes that judge my scars.

A candy given.

A sweet smile.

Maybe tonight is the last night I live as a ghost.

And finally live.


Happy Halloween.





8 comments:

  1. I enjoyed this thought-provoking piece, June. I love the hopeful ending, too. I felt like I wanted to keep reading about this character.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great entry, June. I imagined a disfigured face, somewhat like the Phantom of the Opera, and their hope/desire to be freed from their own self.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What an intriguing set up, I’d love to see where this story could go.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very poignant and thoughtful. I, too, would like to read more. Scars can be external or internal. You've opened a door for more.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exactly! And as a youth, even the internal scars feel like they are constantly on display!

      Delete
  5. A hopeful ending is nice! Thank you for that! Good luck to you. ๐Ÿ˜‰๐Ÿ‘ --Melisa Wrex @mowrex (Twitter)

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a great and unique story! You really nailed that YA feeling of being not enough and imagining everyone can see your flaws and fears. I like the characters move towards empowerment, too. Such fun to read - thanks for sharing it.

    ReplyDelete