Wednesday, December 24, 2014

Listen this Holiday


You may have Holiday traditions that revolve around the actual holiday; baking cookies, decorating, religious gathering. My favorite tradition comes after all the food, after all the gifts, when everyone sits around, drunk on pumpkin pie and cookies, and they tell stories. Not all the stories are holiday based.




Most in fact are the various ways we injured ourselves as kids.

Writers, listen to these stories. There are gems among them. Ask your older relatives how they met the love of their lives. Ask that crazy aunt the craziest thing she's ever done. Ask Uncle Bob how he ended up marrying a girl who punched him in the nose when they first met. Ask the twins how they saved 3 bunnies last spring.

Listen to the stories. Listen for the feelings. Joy, love, sorrow, regret, and hopefully hope and humor throughout. You never know when you will be inspired by those you love or even your own memories.


Next time someone says, "Remember when..." listen.


1 comment:

  1. I recently came across your blog and have been reading along. I thought I would leave my first comment. I don't know what to say except that I have enjoyed reading. Nice blog. I will keep visiting this blog very often. ratemywriters

    ReplyDelete