Wednesday, February 19, 2014

Creative vs Critical Writing

So today I started a basic writing class. Why? Because no matter how good you are, you could be better. No matter how much you think you know or remember there is more to learn or remember. I know I have a lot to learn.

Today’s lesson was on your creative mind vs your critical mind. You know that mean critical part. The one who interrupts your glorious scene where worlds collide to tell you to go back to that last sentence and correct two spelling errors and a comma. That devil on your shoulder, watching as you are about to put your fingers to the key before shouting “STOP! You aren’t going to say it just right.”

Today was about freewriting first. Letting your creative side go, spleleing errors and all (yes, I did that on purpose) to just get words down on paper. To roll around in the words and enjoy them like Scrooge McDuck in his money pit.

Last, we had an assignment. Let your sides argue. How do they feel about each other? Here is what mine had to say:

Creative: Yay, I get to come out to play

Critic: Only briefly, then I have to come clean up your mess

Creative: But I’m the one who comes up with the great ideas. Ideas that kids will love to read.

Critic: No kid will ever get to read your stuff if Agents think you are an amateur.

Creative: You distract me. You know that? Sometimes I hate you. Seriously.

Critic: I’m the side that pays the bills, Honey. Learn to live with it.

Creative: (eye roll) Fine, whatever. (Stares out window daydreaming)

So what does your creative side really think of the critic?

1 comment:

  1. What a great exercise! I'm definitely going to write out how the two sides of myself would argue! Sounds like a very interesting class!

    ReplyDelete